Saturday, July 19

Which Path?

Had a lovely day today. Little Frog and I went to see his grandma and auntie, and the four of us spent the day browsing the high-street sales and chatting. I even got to amble around the book shop for twenty minutes on my own, picking up random books and reading bits of them before putting them back (sadly, I couldn't afford to buy any -- boo). I haven't book-browsed like that for ages, and it was really nice. Especially nice when I found a book I proofread; I always remember the consistent problems that appeared in each book I've worked on and it's a thrill to look at the published product and see all the things I pointed out that have been put right.

The only slight damper on my day was in the Marks & Spencer coffee shop, when Little Frog decided to throw up all down himself and, accordingly, all over my jeans. I beat a hasty retreat to the baby changing room with the small sodden one tucked under my arm and thanked God that I always have a fresh set of clothes for him in the change bag. Not so much luck for me -- I had to do the best I could on my jeans with a baby wipe and then... sigh... had to buy a new skirt to change into. Ah well.

Lately I've been floundering again as to what path I should be taking, career-wise. Proofreading is still going well but is extremely sporadic, and in the current state of the country's finances I need to have a regular and guaranteed income. Basically, I need to find a job. But I also need to find a new childminder, since Frog will stop going to his current one in mid-August. It is likely that his care days are going to change and I can't commit to anything until I know when those days will be. In the meantime, I'm spending a few hours a week fruitlessly searching local job websites and keeping my fingers crossed for a National Lottery/Premium Bond win.

On the plus side, I've been having thoughts about my book idea almost every day at the moment and have made quite a few notes on it this week. Perhaps once my new childcare arrangements are settled and I've managed to figure out some way of having a regular flow of money then I can start to structure in some writing. I mean, please... how long has it been?!


Just finished reading: The Rise and Fall of a Yummy Mummy by Polly Williams

2 comments:

Nell Dixon said...

Hugs, you'll get there.

Judy Jarvie said...

(((Jess)))
Mummyhood, making a living,juggling all the balls and all it brings can be tough - keep the faith. I hope it all comes together soon for you.

I can totally relate on the froglet sick incident - same happened to us with eldest daughter. Took her to a Brewer's Fayre and she projectiled all over her dinner, herself and me. Didn't even have a change of clothes as she was quite big and had to carry her out in vest and pants. Haven't been to said restaurant since - shudder, bad memories!
jx