Tuesday, January 16

Ah, The Kiss...

I've done more work on OST today -- now over halfway through chapter three. I'm still planning on finishing up the story with a fourth chapter, but because of the places in which my scene breaks have occurred I think I might have to reconsider this when I get to the editing process, and maybe split the four chapters into five.

My characters -- Noah and Carrie -- have just kissed for the first time :) I love doing the first kiss scene. I used to be very nervous about writing that part because you have to make it justified and, in a funny way, it has to meet the characters' expectations. Very occasionally I'll read a first-kiss scene and think "They deserved way better than that!", so I really try to take care to make the kiss important for the characters. It might sound a bit crazy, but it's almost the same as making sure that the characters do and say things they should. If you don't do it, or don't do it properly, there is a risk that the reader can lose their belief in the story or the characters, and that is my worst nightmare as a writer! I know I hate it as a reader.

Still no idea on a title for my next project yet. If I still haven't come up with anything soon then maybe I'll do a mini-contest for some possible ideas...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading those first kiss scenes -- if they're done right, the reader payoff is so ... ahhhhh ... perfect, if you know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

If that first kiss is good then my toes practically curl! You are so right.

Jessica Raymond said...

Glad we're all in agreement :)

First kiss = v. important

Jess x